Week 10 Assignment – Term Paper: Disaster Recovery Plan
In recent years, organizations have witnessed the impact of effective and ineffective business continuity plans and disaster recovery plans. In today’s environment, with significant potential natural disasters, terrorist threats, and other man-made threats, it is critical that organizations develop effective business continuity plans and disaster recovery plans. Select an organization that you are familiar with, such as where you currently or previously have worked, contact a local organization, or search on the Internet for the needed detail of an organization that interests you. Prepare a disaster recovery plan policy for that organization.
This assignment consists of two parts: a written paper and a PowerPoint presentation. You must submit both parts as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for. You can make all assumptions needed to complete this assignment.
Part 1: Written Paper
Write a 6–8 page paper in which you:
- Provide an overview of the organization that will be delivered to senior management, defining the business goals and objectives and the size, layout, and structure of the organization.
- Include a diagram of the organization’s network architecture and the proposed network architecture of an alternate computing facility in the event of a disaster (or the actual network architecture of the alternate computing facility if one already exists) using the graphical tools in Microsoft Word or Visio, or an open-source alternative such as Dia.
- Include charts or diagrams created in MS Visio or Dia as an appendix of the infrastructure document. All references to these diagrams must be included in the body of the infrastructure document.
- Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Develop the DRP policy, including:
- Disaster declaration.
- Assessment of security.
- Potential disaster scenarios and methods of dealing with the disaster.
- Disaster recovery procedures.
- Develop an incident response team (IRT) charter that includes the following sections:
- Executive summary.
- Mission statement.
- Incident declaration.
- Organizational structure.
- Roles and responsibilities.
- Information flow and methods of communication.
- Methods and services provided by the IRT.
- Authority and reporting procedures.
Part 2: PowerPoint Presentation
Use Microsoft PowerPoint create a 12–14 content slide presentation that will be presented to the organization’s management, in which you:
- Summarize the main elements of the DRP policy and IRT charter as specified.
- Include introductory and concluding slides.