Understanding the purpose of an interview is central to understanding the types of questions that need to be asked and the manner in which those questions will be presented. There are several techniques or strategies that can be utilized to achieve the purpose of the interview. In this journal assignment, you will watch a video of an interview titled Police Interview & Confession: I Kicked Her Car and then write about your observations. Focus your journal on recognizing the purpose of the interview, and the techniques or strategies the interviewer is using.
Specifically, the following rubric criteria must be addressed:
- Identify the purpose of the interview.
- Why are the police interviewing this person? What information do they hope to obtain?
- Identify two interview techniques or strategies the interviewer is using.
- What actions or questions led you to identify those particular techniques or strategies?
- Describe how those techniques or strategies are effective or ineffective.
- Did the interviewers questions or approach eventually lead to the interviewee providing the desired information? How?
- Identify an alternative technique or strategy that was not used that might be effective in this interview.
- Is there another technique or strategy you think would work just as well or even better?
- Describe how the alternative technique or strategy would be effective.
- What about the third technique or strategy would make the interviewee provide (or allow the interviewee to provide) the desired information?
Guidelines for Submission
This assignment must be 150300 words in length. Any references must be cited in APA format. Consult the Shapiro Library APA Style Guide for more information on citations.
Note: For journal assignments, you can receive a Proficient, Needs Improvement, or Not Evident score on each of your rubric criteria. There is no Exemplary score for this assignment, because you will receive feedback and make revisions to improve beyond proficiency in these concepts.