This assignment focuses on a case study, The Case of Marie, which you completed as a part of this unit’s studies. This case involves an ethical dilemma with a diverse family, and the dilemma itself, like most ethical issues in group work, is potentially two-fold:
- The dilemma among the group members, as well as the content and manner of their communication with you.
- The ethical dilemma within yourself, as you examine your own natural preferences and biases in the context of the group and its needs.
At all levels of social work practice (micro, mezzo, and macro), the diversity of personal preferences and biases always presents the possibility of ethical compromise. Combined with potential ethical issues within the diverse situations, beliefs, and actions of the group members themselves, any given situation can quickly become ethically clouded.
Your task for this assignment is to identify the ethical issues at play, describe their potential consequences, and, finally, using the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) code of ethics and other researched resources, apply a principled framework for resolving the dilemma. Use the link located in the Resources to visit NASW’s Web site; you may search the site to find information regarding NASW’s code of ethics and essential steps for ethical problem-solving.
Note: You may find it beneficial to complete the discussion activity for this unit before beginning work on this assignment.
Using this unit’s readings, case study, NASW resources, and scholarly literature, complete the following for this assignment:
- Identify NASW essential steps for ethical problem solving to apply to the case study.
- Identify what type of data you would need to collect in order to make ethical decisions.
- Describe the ethical dilemma presented in the case study, and identify areas of ambiguity, including the possible consequences that could result if different steps were chosen.
- Based on your research, apply best practices related to ethical decision-making models.
- Explain the areas of NASW code of ethics in question as you apply the strategies of ethical reasoning to arrive at principled decisions.
- Describe where your personal values come into play as you apply the strategies of ethical reasoning to arrive at the principled decision and how you will manage these personal values.