The Nature of Change
In this module, we learned that everything is in a state of constant change. This is a challenge of strategic management, as the industry environment is driven by technology, consumer needs, politics, economic conditions, and many other influences. Consider these influences as you analyze the following case.Case 11: New York Times: Adapting to the Digital Revolution p. 492 (in the textbook)To support the case analysis read Chapter 8 and the assigned reading. Remember that a case study is a puzzle to be solved, so before reading and answering the specific case questions, develop your proposed solution by following these five steps:
- Read the case study to identify the key issues and underlying issues. These issues are the principles and concepts of the course module which apply to the situation described in the case study.
- Record the facts from the case study which are relevant to the principles and concepts of the module. The case may have extraneous information not relevant to the current course module. Your ability to differentiate between relevant and irrelevant information is an important aspect of case analysis, as it will inform the focus of your answers.
- Describe in some detail the actions that would address or correct the situation.
- Consider how you would support your solution with examples from experience or current real-life examples or cases from textbooks.
- Complete this initial analysis and then read the discussion questions. Typically, you will already have the answers to the questions but with a broader consideration. At this point, you can add the details and/or analytical tools required to solve the case.
Case Study Questions:
- What was the nature and sources of organizational inertia in this case?
- Explain “disruptive technology” and “architectural innovation” as it relates to this case.
- Evaluate the role of organizational ambidexterity, crisis management, capability development, dynamic capabilities, and knowledge management in this case.
- What general lessons for the management of strategic change did you gain from this case and how do they apply to the current state of this industry?
- Be 4 to 5 pages in length, which does not include the required title and reference pages, which are never a part of the content minimum requirements.
- Use APA style guidelines.
- Support your submission with course material concepts, principles, and theories from the textbook and at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles unless the assignment calls for more.
- It is strongly encouraged that you submit all assignments into the Turnitin Originality Check before submitting it to your instructor for grading. If you are unsure how to submit an assignment into the Originality Check tool, review the Turnitin Originality Check—Student Guide for step-by-step instructions.
- Chapter 8 in Contemporary Strategy Analysis
- Chapter 8 PowerPoint slides Chapter 8 PowerPoint slides – Alternative Formats in Contemporary Strategy Analysis
- Visnjic, I., Ringov, D., & Arts, S. (2019). Which Service? How Industry Conditions Shape Firms’ Service‐Type Choices. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 36(3), 381–407. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12483
- Cucculelli, M., & Peruzzi, V. (2020). Innovation over the industry life-cycle. Does ownership matter? Research Policy, 49(1), N.PAG. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2019.103878